IMEC Member Sponsorship
Developing the Seafarers of the Future
With an IMEC Membership comes the opportunity to be involved with our sponsored training initiatives, which aim to provide a sustainable source of high quality professional mariners for Members.
At present, there are three exclusive training programmes to take advantage of:
– IMEC Cadet Training – Philippines
-IMEC Cadet Training – South Africa
– IMEC Ships Rating Programme
– IMEC Engineering Bridging Course
Apart from IMEC Cadet Training, each course is entirely funded by the International Maritime Training Fund (IMTF) and is available for Members to utilise as a source of future talent on-board their vessels. Courses run throughout the year and we encourage Member participation to help develop the future leaders of the industry.
IMEC Cadet Training - Philippines
Based in Phillippines and partially funded by IMTF AMOSUP, the IMEC Cadet training programme has been our flagship project since its foundation in 2006. IMEC Members are able to sponsor Filipino cadets to study 3 years at the Maritime Academy of Asia and Pacific (MAAP) and provide them with the required 12 months seagoing experience on-board their vessels.
Members participating in the scheme are required to fund the final academic year of training at MAAP, followed by providing berths on their vessels for shipboard training. During this time, the cost of the final year of tuition can be recovered by the sponsor from the cadet’s stipend.
Successful graduates of the scheme are endorsed to their sponsors for potential employment. If accepted the cadets are obliged to work with the company for five years.
If you are interested in sponsoring IMEC cadets, please contact Chloe Esdaile for a request form.
IMEC Ship's Rating Programme
In 2017, IMEC introduced a new training initiative known as the Ships Rating Programme. The 5 month programme conducted by Maritime Academy of Asia and the Pacific (MAAP) is designed to bring opportunities for young people from underprivileged backgrounds by providing the education needed to become competent seafarers. This course is offered FREE of charge for IMEC Members, with successful graduates endorsed to their allocated sponsor for potential employment at the end of the 5 month period.
If you would like to sponsor an IMEC Ship’s Rating please contact Chloe Esdaile for a request form.
IMEC Engineering Bridging Programme
The IMEC Engineering Bridging Programme was introduced in 2022 to respond to the growing need for highly qualified marine engineers. The Bridging programme aims to convert candidates who already hold a bachelors’ degree in Mechanical Engineering and fast track them to being a fully qualified Engineering Officer.
The course is made up of 10 months of study at the Maritime Academy of Asia and the Pacific, followed by an 18 month window in which to gain 12 months qualifying sea time. After completing their engineering licence exams, these candidates are then endorsed to their sponsors for potential employment.
Similarly to the ships Rating Programme, the academic study at MAAP is funded by IMTF AMOSUP and is offered FREE of charge to IMEC Members, with the only obligation being to provide berths on the respective sponsors vessels for their shipboard training period.
The key advantage of this course will be that Members will be able to benefit from having highly skilled marine engineers in the shortest amount of training time possible.
If you would like to sponsor an IMEC Engineering Bridging Programme candidate, please contact Chloe Esdaile for a request form.
IMEC Cadet Programme - South Africa
- The IMEC South Africa Cadet Training Programme was established in 2023 in response to the IMEC membership wishing to explore alternative sources of maritime talent. The initiative is aimed at providing training berths to budding South African deck and engineering cadets who require 12 month sea time to achieve their certificate of competency.
- Cadets under the IMEC South Africa training initiative are endorsed to members after they have completed all academic requirements for obtaining a certificate of competency. All shore side elements and training is fully funded and supported through SAMTRA and SAIMI as part of the National Cadet Training Programme.
- IMEC sponsors are given the opportunity to interview and select their own candidates 3 times per year and are expected to deploy the cadets for their shipboard training period within 3 months after selection.
- After the cadets have achieved their 12 months sea time and obtained their Certificate of Competency, the candidates is then endorsed to their sponsor for potential employment, giving members first pick of newly qualified officers.
For more information please feel free to contact Rob Gale Head of Training or Chloe Esdaile Deputy Head of Training.
If you are interested in sponsoring cadets for the IMEC South Africa Cadet Training Programme, please download and complete the request form below and return to Chloe Esdaile.
IMEC Cadet Programme - India
- The IMEC India Cadet Training Programme was established in 2023 in response to the IMEC membership wishing to expand IMEC’s sources of maritime talent. The initiative is aimed at providing training and berths to promising deck and engineering cadets who require 12 to 18 months of sea time to achieve their certificate of competency.
- Members will be given the opportunity to interview and select their requested number of candidates before they start their 2.5 year course at one of the following institutions:
- All shore side qualifications are funded by the successful candidates, with IMEC sponsors supporting the cadets through their shipboard training period.
- Deck – 18 months sea time
- Engineering – 12 months sea time
- Once the cadets have completed their shipboard training and completed their final examinations for their Certificate of Competency, all candidates will be endorsed to their sponsors for potential employment opportunities, giving members first pick of newly qualified officers.
For more information, please feel free to contact Rob Gale Heads of Training or Chloe Esdaile Deputy Head of Training.
If you are interested in Sponsoring cadets for the IMEC India Cadet Training Programme, please download and complete he request form below and return to Chloe Esdaile.